InBg Chat Room  

Calendar  
<< December 2018 >>

M T W T F S S

In Bulgaria: Forums   

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups    ProfileProfile   ProfileMember List
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Brexit? Will UK follow the Greek example?
 Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:37 pm 
Post subject: Post Brexit? Will UK follow the Greek example?

tonytg806 wrote: I'm not sure I'd look at the past as a guide to the future but I don't know about pre EU, but post Brexit? Who knows. My feeling is that little will really change for those already here, but it will become more onerous for later arrivals.

That might be true, Tony - or it might be wishful thinking if Brussels chooses to go down the "...pour encourager les autres..." path.

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:28 am 
Post subject:

This is another good point seedy. EU has be vindictive in my country just to set an example for the others facing similar issues. Would not be surprised in case they will attempt to follow suit with Britain for much the same reasons. Hopefully Britain is in a much better position to defend their rights. Not going to be easy though.  
tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:53 pm 
Post subject:

scasparz wrote:
This is another good point seedy. EU has be vindictive in my country just to set an example for the others facing similar issues. Would not be surprised in case they will attempt to follow suit with Britain for much the same reasons. Hopefully Britain is in a much better position to defend their rights. Not going to be easy though.

They aren't setting an example. The EU just hates the Greeks for making them a laughing stock of the world. Like they needed your help Wink

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:16 am 
Post subject:

True tonytg806, in the case of Greece, the EU has exposed their ugliest face. But I cannot be laughing after what they did here. Having been looted by the local oligarchs in the first place, currently looted on what was left by the lenders, Greece has lost any sovereignty for the coming 99 years.

Definitely Greece was in need to implement reforms yet it seems it is the EU in need of other kinds of reforms most urgently. They cannot keep going just like this and yet they seem highly reluctant to change. Too bad for them. They may not be given another chance.

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:13 pm 
Post subject:

This is a German funny account of the Greek debt-crisis. Was aired a few years ago by ZDF, Germany's second state owned television network. Although comedy, it presents a few facts about the issue surprisingly accurately. If you can find time to watch a 50 minutes long episode, bearing english subtitles instead of spoken language this is really good stuff, worth seeing. Would suggest to watch it until the end.

For the less knowledgable troika is a trilateral comittee representing in Greece the International Monetary Fund, the European Central Bank and the EU. In short they are the lenders who supervise the function of the Greek state and the repayment of the debt. They function by enforcing cuts on public spending.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:01 pm 
Post subject:

Thank you for that link, Mr S - very amusing, in a wry way. It's pity the subtitles are so crappy but what can one expect from the Huns? Cool

tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:44 pm 
Post subject:

Seedy wrote:
Thank you for that link, Mr S - very amusing, in a wry way. It's pity the subtitles are so crappy but what can one expect from the Huns? Cool

Thanks for that. Germans and Greeks in one go? No thanks.....

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:50 pm 
Post subject:

Ve haff vays off making you larf - or support our banks.... Cool

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:21 am 
Post subject:

Did you know Sfoundouris, having survived Distomo was finally risen by a Swiss orphanage after the war? Eventually he studied math and astrophysics at the reknown ETH university of Zurich. In Switzerland he spend many years of his life as a professor. Has been heard saying that although actually he did never recover that fateful day, at his age he does not hate the Germans anymore.

As for the local banks they have been privatized and currently belong to foreign funds having previously been re-capitalized with -as usual- borrowed taxpayers money that some day will have to be paid back. In my view the issue here is who is behind this.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:08 pm 
Post subject:

Mr S, I don't know if that question was addressed to me or the other esteemed members of this august assembly Wink If the former, yes, I was aware of it: after all, he's almost as well known as Comrade Glezos, who fittingly metamorphosed from a Russian stooge into a member of SYRIZA - although come to think of it, that's not really much of a transition, is it.... Cool

tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

Seedy wrote:
Mr S, I don't know if that question was addressed to me or the other esteemed members of this august assembly Wink If the former, yes, I was aware of it: after all, he's almost as well known as Comrade Glezos, who fittingly metamorphosed from a Russian stooge into a member of SYRIZA - although come to think of it, that's not really much of a transition, is it.... Cool

Is this an in-house conversation because I've no idea who/what you're talking about!

tonytg806
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

I nearly said "Its all Greek to me" Laughing Laughing Laughing  
Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 pm 
Post subject:

Mr Sfoundouris is one of the very few survivors of the German massacre of the inhabitants of Distomo: http://tinyurl.com/ycdrwcwr

Mr Glezos is a symbol of the Greek resistance to the Germans during WWII, who, in my opinion, sadly rather lost his way thereafter; others may disagree on that last part. http://tinyurl.com/y8bqcwr7

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 pm 
Post subject:

Much like seedy wrote, Glezos is considered an icon here. On 1941 with Athens under German occupation, Glezos together with Apostolos Santas managed to sneak into the Athens Acropolis -an ancient fortress as you may know- to bring down the German flag off it's pole ignoring the German garrison. At the times, this incident took considerable publicity throughout Europe and Charles de Gaulle called him 'europe's first partisan'.

A member of the communist party, he switched to the so called internal branch -that is the euro communists-, when the party was split following the spring of Prague at '68. Having wandered a number of leftist parties, Glezos joined Syriza and initially supported Tsipras. However is he has repeatedly been vocal on Tsipras.

As for Sfoundouris am not aware of any political affiliations of his own.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:45 pm 
Post subject:

I have no idea about Sfoundouris' political persuasion either, apart from him not being a member of the Papadopoulos/Pattakos Fan Club...apparently he didn't feel that the trains running on time was an improvement on a potential ELAS-backed government Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
 Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Page 1 of 2