InBg Chat Room  

Calendar  
<< June 2018 >>

M T W T F S S

In Bulgaria: Forums   

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups    ProfileProfile   ProfileMember List
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scot47 and other old members

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiarnan
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:29 pm 
Post subject: Scot47 and other old members

Some of you who would have been on another forum many years ago may remember Scot47. His association with Bulgaria went back further than anyone I have met. He was married to a Bulgarian woman and had....then.....teenage daughters. I know after a divorce he went back to live in Scotland. Has anyone ever heard from him or about him in the last few years. ? For myself in the early days here here was the font of great knowledge.
And what of Spantrout. ? Did he ever surface again. ? Definately a strange case that.

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:50 pm 
Post subject:

Glad to see that you're still alive and kicking, Tiarnan. I certainly remember both the people you mention; I chatted fragmentarily with Scot but not for several years now. He seemed to lose interest in BG and I've no idea what became of him apart, as you say, from moving back to Scotland.

As for Spanners, last mention I heard of him was your own (I think) thread a few years back and a mention of him living in or near Varna/Bourgas.

zoomzoom
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:58 am 
Post subject:

I also remember Scot went back to Scotland and as far as I know, he was in some sort of poor health but I don't know any more than that.
I would also like to know what happened to Qwerty because we met him in the hospital (his wife was ill).
Maybe this title of this thread should be changed to something like 'Any info on these past members'?

krysia
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 am 
Post subject:

morning T
dont think any of us " oldies " could ever forget Scott47...I always admired him and had a good Train trip once with him for 3 days....thats going back a bit tho now....

my last contact with him was a couple of years ago now...by then his eyesight had rapidly deteriated unfortunatly.... Sad

flyingcowman
All Grown Up
All Grown Up

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:43 am 
Post subject:

I'm new here so don't know the people you are talking about.

I know that when my mother died, my father moved back to the UK from Spain afterwards as the country they both fell in love with was not the same without her.
He now spends quite a bit of time in Bg and that is partly why we have bought a house there.

My point is, life moves on and often people lose enthusiasm for places they have loved for many reasons. On forums like this ... new elder statesmen and women take over and offer us newbies their wisdom.

We are grateful as they were to their predecessors.

I hope you find out what happened to them though.

Ivan

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:14 pm 
Post subject:

There had been so many interesting people with interesting positions on the old forum, too many to name a few. The current decline of interest is such a pity.  
Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 pm 
Post subject:

Amen to that, young man... Wink

atticjon
Matured Member
Matured Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

Jesus, if i'd had access to the advice and experience on the forums when I first moved to Bg...... On the other hand I would have become confused and worried by all the conflicting information and not headed off!  
Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:51 am 
Post subject:

Everyone's experience is different, depending on a whole range of factors: where and how they live, their own characters, how adaptable (or not) they are, what they expected the move to achieve (and how realistic those expectations were) - even things like what brought them here and how much booze they pour down their throats.

What people learn from their own experiences also varies, so "advice" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt - especially anything starting All Bulgarians... or I know my rights... Wink

And I'm sure we all remember the useful "information" doled out in the past by the fantasists who'd "seen with their own eyes" all those Lidl, and Ikea, stores which existed many years before either company actually entered the Bulgarian market - and the nut-job claims about buying firearms in their local gun shops from owners who were apparently happy to jeopardise their livelihoods, and liberty, in return for a few leva from a foreigner....and a gabby one to boot! Very Happy

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:18 pm 
Post subject:

IMHO the value of information lies in that it can be there. Of course I agree with atticjon in that too much information, occasionally contradicting gets confusing. Still in most cases there are ways to evaluate this information or the quality of the poster it originated from. In that sense having information is much better than not having it at all. Believe the more information the better. After all it is food for thought.

In the past, having a forum with broad participation often provided for healthy arguments coming from interesting people with broadly different backgrounds and ways of thinking. Was this that made the old forum so interesting not just as a source of information regarding BG but from a much wider perspective. I wouldn’t agree with everyone, nor it was everyone that I liked, yet hardly this mattered. It is the quality of the members that can make a forum worthy or not.

I came here been interested to retire in BG by the time I realised troubles were rapidly approaching my neighbouring country of origin. Can recall the first topic I seeked information had been Kozloduy and the resulting pollution from the nearby NPP as the effects of this are not just local but can be seen from GR as well. was BrianJ the first to share the same concerns with me. God only knows where he currently is.

In the end I opted to remain in Greece ruling BG out from becoming the final destination of my life, but I didn’t lose interest. Forum participation has become tragic these days, but I can find a few interesting folks coupled with a few interesting topics to debate. Of course I miss past members and Scot47 has been among them.

By the way where is MW?

cheers everyone

Seedy
Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:51 pm 
Post subject:

MW is под прикритие... Cool

scasparz
In The Prime
In The Prime

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 am 
Post subject:

Hope he is doing well.

cheers everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    In Bulgaria Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1